Xin Zhongguo Tielu 50 Nian

Moderators: Moderators, Admin Team

Xin Zhongguo Tielu 50 Nian

Postby CharlieRoot on 02 Dec 2013, 18:50

大家好!

I studied Chinese in college and had the good fortune to study 2 years in Taipei at the Mandarin Training Center. But that was over 20 years ago. I have tried to maintain my language skills by translating. But I am the first to admit that I am a terrible translator.

Trains fascinate me and so does Chinese history. To my the best of my knowledge, the number of books in English about the history of railroads in China can be counted on the fingers of two hands. I decided to try my hand at translating a book on Chinese railroads: Xin Zhongguo Tielu 50 Nian. On a website I found this book and bought it. For the past few years I have tried to do a little each week and have almost finished three out of eight chapters. If and when I finish, I will go back to the start and begin to clean it up. Right now, the translation is very raw and filled with errors. I am still trying to settle on a style for the Chinese characters I include in the text, as well as the inevitable footnotes. Chinese is not an easy language for me but I try. Please be gentle in your criticisms. Constructive comments are appreciated.

http://www.heilungshan.com/transport/chinarail/books/xinzhongguo.html
CharlieRoot
Chinarail Forum Member

Return to Interesting links