Bachmann quality control (JF/RM)

Moderators: Moderators, Admin Team

Bachmann quality control (JF/RM)

Postby mjenderby on 15 Apr 2018, 19:12

After my JF pick-up problems (which required much wheel cleaning), I decided to revisit my RM which had similar issues. Apart from wheel cleaning, I noted that the pick-up "fingers" on the tender were floating and not actually held by the washer on the bogie retaining screw. Looking at the assembly instructions, the placement of the washer is wrong so I guess someone was just following instructions :-( Looking at other locos, e.g. JS) the instructions show washer in correct place.

Looking at the JF, it may be suffering the same problem (will need to remove an axle to check) as there's no visible washer. In this case the instructions do show the washer in the correct place.

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Re: Bachmann quality control (JF/RM)

Postby mjenderby on 16 Apr 2018, 13:02

Now I have a continuous run, am starting to properly run-in my locos.

The RM is giving me more problems. After thoroughly cleaning wheels and track, it will still stutter and stall at anything less than 2/3 power. This behaviour continues after swapping the sound for a standard chip. This suggests it's a pickup problem, despite all other locos working fine.

Has anyone else seen running issues with the RM?

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby Nancha95 on 30 Apr 2018, 23:48

I recently got my JF's. All three loco had a lack of pulling power. On 1.6% grade they pulled hardly 8 to 10 freight cars (C64), only a bit more than the SY.

After a closer look, I discovered that the fourth driver wheelset actually didn't touch the rails. One half of the engine weight rest on the first driver and the other half on the tender.
The problem is the linkage between tender and engine. For the mechanical connection, there is an removable, flexible plastic "snap-in"-linkage. But for electrical connection, on each side there is a PCB board with a 6-pin connector screwed to the housing. In this way there is no vertical play possible between tender and engine.
To fix the problem, I removed both screws of the PCB. Now the PCB connector loosly lying in the housing and mechanical connection is only through the plastic linkage possible.
After this my JF's run smoosly and can handle more then 20 cars on the 1.6% grade unassisted.
I think, the pick up issues above mentioned, also could have partly a reason in this badly engineered tender-engine connection.

Cheers Ralph
Nancha95
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 01 May 2018, 12:28

After cleaning, the JF performs ok … somewhere between an SY and a JS. However, there is a very slight lift on the rear axle which needs correcting. The RM is more problematic though :-(

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Return to Rolling stock