Chinese loco depot slogans

Moderators: Moderators, Admin Team

Chinese loco depot slogans

Postby mjenderby on 13 Apr 2018, 15:42

Am looking to add some detail to my loco depot. Several photos show 4/5 character "slogans" on the front elevation of depots.

1) were these common?
2) are they political slogans ... or the depot name?
3) can anyone provide an example I can use?

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Re: Chinese loco depot slogans

Postby ben_issacs on 14 Apr 2018, 02:37

Mark,
In re Chinese loco depot slogans.
I've gone through all three of Robin Gibbons books on Chinese steam locos.
Of all the many photos therein, there are only about twenty that have depot buildings in them, and only one of them had a roof top sign.
This was Sujiatun.
The sign was sixteen single character boards, in four groups of four.
The English translation of the whole sign was: 'Be strict with oneself, maintain an iron discipline, be united and co-operative, provide excellent service'.
So, if this is a typical example, these signs aren't depot names but political exhortations.
If you have any of Gibbon's books, this sign is on p.12 of the 'JF6 Family' volume.
For your depot, you could select any one of the above phrases, or even use one of the slogans that appear widely on the loco smoke boxe fronts, all of which seem to be in political vein.
You could of course make up one saying so and so locomotive depot, or even something like ' Make sure that you have water in the boiler'!
The possibilities are endless!
Lets know what you do.
Bill,
Melbourne.
ben_issacs
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 14 Apr 2018, 10:18

Bill,

Thanks for that. I also found a 5 character slogan at Xuzhou North, though my translator app couldn't make much sense of it! I did go through Robin's QJ book, but the big problem is that you can't use translate to get back from Robin's English translations to the characters so I can print them!

Still quite like the idea though as slogans are ubiquitous in China and add a little more authentic flavour. So I miay go down the "make-it-up" route ... but there's no rush :-)

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby ben_issacs on 15 Apr 2018, 00:20

Mark,
Glad to be of some help.
With your Xuxhou five character slogan, any chance of putting it onto the forum site?
If so done, someone could possibly translate it for you.
I don't know how good machine translation of Chinese Hanzi characters into English is, I know that for Japanese Kanji into English it's a bit of a laugh!
I have a few Chinese technical books on locos, some of which have lists of depots (Sections?), and so could probably pick out the 'depot' characters and somehow send them either directly to you, or on the forum, if I can work out how to do the latter.
Regards,
Bill,
Melbourne.
ben_issacs
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 16 Apr 2018, 19:57

Ben,

Am unable to post pictures (and there's probably a copyright issue anyway). In the end, I think I've put "Safety First" on. I'll probably post a picture on my website and get shot down!

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby ben_issacs on 17 Apr 2018, 00:07

Mark,
With a good English-Chinese dictionary you should be able to get something like 'Safety First', only two characters, but no doubt whatever you put up with not satisfy everyone.
In re copyright breaches, doesn't this not apply when one uses a copyrighted item for information only, and not for any financial gain, which was surely apply for items put up on this forum, there is no copyright breach.
Perhaps a simplified reading of copyright law?
Regards,
Bill,
Melbourne.
ben_issacs
Chinarail Forum Member

Return to Network