DCC for DF4D, SS9G

Moderators: Moderators, Admin Team

Re: DCC for DF4D, SS9G

Postby bananacarril on 08 Sep 2012, 22:52

The last two times I was at Friday's in Shanghai there was a man working there and he did test each DXDC decoder. He rejected one. I was able to pick up five 5303's in July, and I'll be there agin later this month, so will check to see if I can get more.

I agree there are quality issues with the DXDC decoders, and I have had two bad ones out of a dozen so far, but they were returned without problem and replaced. You have to be very careful not to get wires crushed by the chassis or shell, or they do break or come loose easily. I had one overheat problem with a 5303 programmed with a JS. But have not had any funny business with operating locos (yet), aside from the fact the default settings are different for different loco types, and I have not
reset any yet to achieve better standardization of functions, but it can be done.

They are so much cheaper than other brands available in the U.S. that a bad one or two can be written off, but obviously if you don't live in China or visit it frequently (I'm here twice a year), dealing with problem decoders is difficult.

John
bananacarril
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby vjm on 29 Sep 2012, 17:46

You know what? I'm still in two minds over whether or not to commit to purchasing more DXDC sound decoders. To be honest, I'm not all that happy with the QJ 5302 in my ZhuDe. Top speed seems slow, acceleration seems all over the place and sound distorts. I've brought the volume right back down to about 64 for each of the sound CVs, but compared to some of my Australian locomotives (which have had their sound professionally recorded from the actual prototype, mastered and loaded onto ESU Loksound 4 decoders), what I get out of the QJ 5302 is downright disappointing.

John, do you mind just giving a list of your CV settings?
vjm
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 16 Apr 2015, 09:35

I've decided to take the plunge and go DCC :-D

This means the next decision is sound or no sound. Has the situation changed on DXDC decoders or is it still a lottery?

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby vjm on 01 Nov 2015, 03:43

I reckon it's a bit of a lottery... if you can still get them anymore. I haven't seen them for sale in quite a while, and I've kind of abandoned converting any more of my Chinese locos for the time being.
vjm
Chinarail Forum Member

Previous

Return to DCC / LokSound