DCC

Moderators: Moderators, Admin Team

DCC

Postby mjenderby on 20 May 2015, 11:59

I'm taking the plunge and converting Ni-Hao to DCE.

Have decided to go with NCE controllers but do people have any recommendations for decoders?

I have 22 locos so these will be a major expense and need to keep costs down. Don't plan on sound (but may experiment if I can pick up a decoder when in HK later this year).

I can pick up 10 packs of NCE D13SRJ for £114 but will these do the job?

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Re: DCC

Postby TEAMYAKIMA on 23 May 2015, 13:42

Hello Mark

Am in the same situation as you. Have a Digitrax system which I bought s/h but no chips and about 40 locos to convert, so watching this with great interest.

Paul
TEAMYAKIMA
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 23 May 2015, 14:15

I note that the Hattons chips get mixed reviews with some saying they don't last. After much reading am being pointed to Lenz at about £18 for a basic chip. These seem to have added protection to make them more foolproof over the NCE ones. However, this puts the total digital bill up some what :-(

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby DongFeng7 on 06 Aug 2015, 18:34

I use a Lenz controller, but I also have a Prodigy Advance system that I use from time to time as a backup. NCE controller is a very good controller and system from what I read in the model press. I use a variety of DCC chips (Bachmann, Lenz, TCS, Tsunami, Guagemaster, Hattons etc.) in about 58 locomotives. I have found that the German and American brand chips are far more reliable, than other brands, however they are expensive. To save costs I have bulk purchased some Bachmann, Guagemaster and Hattons’ chips but I have found that now and again a chip comes defective and shorts out immediately after installation, I now test each of the cheaper chips before installation. I have also found that considering the amount of chips that come defective from the factory, it is more cost effective to buy the major German or American brands. They may be made in China but they are better quality controlled.
DongFeng7
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 26 Oct 2015, 16:37

After a few tests (with Lenz and NCE), I bought Hattons (a mix of direct plug and harness).

16 locos down and no duds :-) but clearly time will tell. Also bought DCCConcepts point decoders for my SEEP motors. These work great and everything is now route set.

Now the questions ...

1) Anything special I need to know about getting into an SY tender ... the top doesn't seem to unclip like JS/QJ :-(
2) Any advice on chipping the BJ2? Do I just do one or do I need to do both and consist them? If the former, are there any current issues given both are motored?

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Postby mjenderby on 06 Nov 2015, 20:29

Answering my own questions :-)

The SY tender is no different from the QJ/JS apart from the fact you need to put more pressure to prose the sides away from the base as there is less flex. There is also a retaining bar for the cables which caught me unaware.

Once I'd found the right screw driver, I managed to remove the 4 screws on the DF3. Unlike the Bachmann diesels, the body just separated easily ... so beware! You then have to unscrew the upper body weight. The worse part was reattaching all the bits that managed to drop off in the process!!!

Now have all locos DCC'd successfully as are all points and turntable. Am now going to investigate connecting to a tablet!

Cheers

Mark
mjenderby
Chinarail Forum Member

Return to DCC / LokSound